I don’t have anywhere to put my jewelry. So I’ve been doing the one thing one really shouldn’t do.
I’ve been throwing it all in a bag to become one large tangled mess. Which of course then means I get to frustrated to deal with it so I just leave it there to be dealt with later. Except it just becomes one vicious circle and frankly, I was tired of it. I wanted something where I could see my pretties and display them as well.
So I spent Friday looking for inspiration and came across a very cute DIY hanging organizer posted by Ashley over at Make It and Love It. I managed to find some lovely red velvet scraps in my sewing room that would be perfect and picked up some black bias tape and .10 grade vinyl. I was all set to whip this little beauty out! But then everything started going wrong. The sewing machine wouldn’t sew through the vinyl despite the changing of needles. Then when I finally got it to work, the bobbin thread would get snarled up and jam up the machine.
So fine, I set that one aside and pulled out the beast of all my sewing machines. Except I can’t find the power cord for it. Argh! Fine! I get it, I am not meant to make this particular beauty. I spent Saturday being grumpy and frustrated cause I wanted to make something this weekend and my creativity juices were being jammed up! Back to the internet for more inspiration.
I picked up a 4′ by 2′ 1/4″ birch plywood board from the pre-cut section, 2 length of balsa wood trim and 6 cabinet pulls. Toss in some dark stain and I am really on to something! The SO is shopping with me, answering my woodworking questions and soon, I have everything I need to make my own jewelry holder/display.
We get my haul home and jump right in. First the measuring and cutting the trim so I get my pretty mitered corners. Thankfully, the SO was on top of it for me.
Stars know what would have happened if I had been left to my own devices. Probably a hospital run, those seem to be the norm when it comes to me and wood working tools. Measure twice, cut once was the motto of the hour and soon, we had everything cut down and ready to glue! The corners don’t line up in the photo below but that is because just as I snapped the picture, I bumped the table but all the corners match up nicely.
I love glue, I have no idea why but I do. I used to go through so many bottles of it as a kid as I slathered it all over my hands to get that cracked and peeling skin look. Yes, I was an odd child.
We break out the Titebond wood glue and get to work marrying the trim to the board.
I was a bit too enthusiastic with the glue initially and had a lot of clean up after we pressed the trim piece down but once we wiped it up with a damp cloth, it got easier to determine just how much we needed to get the job done. Before too long, we got all the pieces glued down.
Now for the hard part. The glue has to sit for 24 hours in order to cure completely.
So I’ll be back tomorrow with a progress report and more pictures!